Designed by the Frederick office of Noelker and Hull (formerly King, Asbury & Associates), Tilghman Elementary School is in the remote Eastern Shore community of Tilghman Island, Maryland. In addition to serving the school-age children of the community, the facility is designed to provide a public healthcare wellness center, a branch location for the public library, and a training and conference center for local emergency service.
The original 14,200 square foot school was built in 1958. It had not been renovated or modernized prior to the project, which involved a complete systemic renovation to replace mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life safety and data systems. A functional renovation expanded classroom space and added a new “cafetorium,” using the vacated cafeteria as a new media center. The existing flat roof was replaced entirely with a new sloping metal roof to give the building an updated look and to unify the design. The renovated and expanded school covers 28,685 square feet.